11.05.2007

I sin daily and I'm a better Christian than you.


Friday Night Lights - Let's Get It On
Coach Taylor comes home to a team in chaos, fueled by the feud between Matt (who is becoming increasingly bitter) and Smash (who surprisingly is not actually being more of a jerk than usual). Meanwhile, Riggins and Lyla try to talk Street out of surgery, and Landry finds that he has a lot to contribute to the Panthers. Oh, and Tyra breaks his heart after his father forbids her to see him anymore. Bitch! Photo
© NBC.


Sorry for the late post, dear readers. But this episode of FNL sure did give us a lot to discuss!

"Let's Get It On" centered around Tami & Coach Taylor finally getting back to a normal routine. This was all presented within the framework of their sexual relationship, which was both funny and touching. From Tami kicking Eric out of the bedroom so she could sleep, to Mac telling Eric about how he and his wife rekindled their own sex life (much to Eric's disgust), to Eric shuttling Tami off to book club in the hopes that she would get a little drunk and therefore a little horny, to the sweet ending scene of Eric chasing Tami into the bedroom ... it was perfect. The strained relationship between Eric and Tami has certainly been well played this season, but I am glad to see it go. Their realistic "fight & make up" dynamic is absolutely one of the best parts about this show.

About halfway though this episode I thought that the threesome scene teased by TV Guide's Matt Ausiello was about to reveal itself and I must say I was a little horrified. Will Riggins, Lyla, and Street really have a threesome? Have some self-respect, people! I was shocked when Street got back together with Lyla after her dalliance with Riggins during the first season, and I find that the whole threesome thing falls a little flat. But with that being said ... yum. Lyla Garrity is one awfully lucky girl.

Best line:
Lyla: "All you've done is go to whore houses and karaoke bars."
Riggins: "Well yeah, we're in Mexico."

The developing relationship between Street and Riggins continues to floor me. In the scene on the boat, when Riggins tells Street
that he loves him with absolutely zero self-consciousness ... sigh. Sure, it was hokey, but Street throwing himself from the boat only to realize moments later that he isn't ready to die made me sniffle a bit. Scott Porter continues to be fantastic in his role as a paralyzed football player who -- against all reason -- you somehow never pity.

On to Matt Saracen, who finally appears on screen for more than a few short minutes. Our sweet little QB is becoming increasingly bitter as the days wear on. Matt has basically been abandoned by everyone. Coach Taylor left him, Julie left him, his father left him, his grandmother's health is deteriorating. After a few typical Saracen moments -- including the stammering "so I'll talk to you when you call me" and the awesomely awkward scene in which he asks Tami if he's a chump -- he finally stood up for himself and told Julie she could shove it, and go to the Decemberists concert by herself. I keep waiting for a romance to blossom between Saracen and his grandmother's nurse -- anyone else? Perhaps now that he has finally stood up to Julie, that path has been cleared.

I too think Smash is kind of an ass, and I get that Matt is acting out due to his sense of general frustration, but regardless I am tiring of their feud. Coach Taylor trying to bring them back together with his "award-winning chili" was a cute moment, and I did love when the two decided to bury their feelings in order to get back into play after Taylor took them out of the game --the "we're BFFs again" line was a nice small touch -- but this fix is only on the surface and they will doubtless continue to fight. Which could get boring, fast.

Finally, we come to Landry, who is fast becoming one of the best characters on FNL. His evolution from season one has been great, and I'm waiting with bated breath for his father to finally figure out his role in the murder. I was unsure about the assignment of Landry as a football player -- he was the only male character who wasn't on the team, right? But I love that Coach calls him Lance, and every time he shouts it whoever is in the vicinity says "You mean Landry?" I loved the moment when Coach told him that he would become an important part of the team, affectionately rubbing his head. I was surprised that his father would forbid Tyra to see him, because I thought it was obvious to parents that that sort of behavior only drives people closer together.

I did NOT love Tyra in the moment that she broke up with him. Ouch! That was harsh. "Take a look in a mirror, I don't know what I was thinking with you." And his face just crumples, and it was the saddest thing. I found this to be completely out of character for Tyra. I understand the idea behind making a breakup so harsh that the other person is too stunned to react, or hoping that it makes them hate you too much to argue, and that I can see Tyra's character doing. However, I do not see our "bad girl with a heart of gold" crushing someone she loves simply because his father threatens her. It just didn't jive with how her character has heretofore been portrayed. And I was really annoyed when Landry walked back into the diner and looked at Saracen with that crushed puppydog look and Matt DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE. Hello, aren't they best friends? That was fucked.

In the realms of "TV on DVD Land" I have started watching "Studio 60." And I am pissed at myself for not watching it when it was on. Aaron Sorkin, holla! More analysis to come as I get further into it.

No comments: